The NHL lifted its ban on longtime coach Joel Quenneville and executives Stan Bowman and Al MacIsaac on Monday, clearing the way for their return to the league more than two years after they were punished in the fallout from the Chicago Blackhawks sexual assault scandal.

“For more than the last two and a half years, these individuals have been ineligible to work for any NHL team as a result of their inadequate response upon being informed in 2010 of allegations that Blackhawks’ player Kyle Beach had been assaulted by the club’s video coach,” the league said, “While it is clear that, at the time, their responses were unacceptable, each of these three individuals … has acknowledged that and used his time away from the game to engage in activities which not only demonstrate sincere remorse for what happened, but also evidence greater awareness of the responsibilities that all NHL personnel have, particularly personnel who are in positions of leadership.”

An investigation commissioned by the Blackhawks concluded team officials mishandled allegations raised by Beach during the team’s Stanley Cup run in 2010. Quenneville, the former Chicago coach, resigned from his job as coach of the Florida Panthers. Bowman, Chicago’s general manager and hockey operations president, left his job as did top team executive MacIsaac.

The fallout included $2 million fine of the Blackhawks by the NHL.

Bowman, MacIsaac and Quenneville can sign contracts with an NHL team after July 10.

The league said each “has made significant strides in personal improvement by participating in myriad programs, many of which focused on the imperative of responding in effective and meaningful ways to address alleged acts of abuse.”

___

AP NHL: https://www.apnews.com/hub/NHL

Brought to you by www.srnnews.com